Thursday, March 24, 2011

Story # 2 of "One Country's Good Manners, is Another's Grand Faux Pas

Story #2:  An associate in charge of family planning for an international human welfare organization

The lady steps out in her dazzling new necklace and everybody dies laughing.  (Or what not to wear in Togo on a Saturday night.)

"From growing up in Cuba to joining the Peace Corps to my present work,  I've spent most of my life in the Third World.  So nobody should know better than I how to dress for it.  Certainly one of the silliest mistakes an outsider can make is to dress up in 'native' costume, whether it's a sari or a sombrero, unless you really know what you're doing.  Yet, in Togo, when I found some of the most beautiful beads I'd ever seen, it never occurred to me not to wear them.  While I was up-country, I seized the first grand occasion to flaunt my new find.  What I didn't know is that locally the beads are worn not at the neck but at the waist - to hold up a sort of loincloth under the skirt.  So, into the party I strutted, wearing around my neck what to every Togolese eye was part of a pair of underpants.

Study and ask locals about the items you purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment