Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sticky Life Moments

I am no stranger to sticky situations.
I personally could fill massive rems of paper with the cringeworthy foibles.  There was the time when my good friend in high school slept with my boyfriend - because I wouldn't (and then I was left to decided whether I needed to uninvite her from my sweet sixteen party).  Or the time I angered a group of very liberal political - and - hormonal - women with my advice on breast-feeding (I believe that whether a woman chooses to breast-feed is up to her and no one else).
I have found humor is often the best way to deal with an uncomfortable predicament, and of course time heals many wounds.  But sometimes a girl needs to be told exactly what to do in a difficult situation.  That is where this blog comes in.
You know that moment when you just want to scream, "Help"?
When you wish you could light a flare and wait for an airplane full of Coast Guard studs to shimmy down from a helicopter and rescue you?  We all know sometimes a girl just has to face things on her own.  But what if she just... can't?
I hope you will visit when you are pulling your hair out, screaming like a banshee, blubbering with frustration, or hyperventilating in to a panic because you just don't know what to do.
Fear not; no problem is too big-or too small- for you.  This is the place to turn when you have nowhere to turn, or are simply too embarrassed to turn anywhere (publicly).  A place that answers the sorts of question you'd only feel comfortable posing to your best friend, but which only your mom, or grandma, or gynecologist, or cleaning lady - okay, any woman who secretly intimidates the hell out of you - knows the answer to.
We are in a country of procrastinators but also live in a culture of prevention.  Take your vitamins!  Do your sit-ups! What a lethal combination.  This contradiction between nature and culture leads to lots of everyday emergencies we don't feel qualified to handle, because we are supposed to have prevented them in the first place!  So we panic.
The good news is this:  Most hideous predicaments are not the end of the world.  This blog is not meant to replace responsible behavior but to be a stack of get-out-of-jail-free cards for the deserving gal with the best intentions and a moment of bad luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment