Monday, August 30, 2010

Book Review: Children's Books of Etiquette

I have a love for children's books because I grew to appreciate them in college while I was studying to become an elementary school teacher.  I think that picture books reach children in a way that they can relate to.  The pictures are colorful, the story is witty and the is book short enough to teach and not feel too long for new readers to enjoy.  
Anyway,
I'm bringing you a few books that are my favorite for teaching etiquette to children.

This book, "Lady Lupin's Book of Etiquette", by Babette Cole,  I'm actually holding right now is very beautifully illustrated. I like it because the story is told by a very proper Scottish deerhound.  The "do's and don'ts" are made light and funny because of the directions are given to the dogs.  My children and home and in the classroom giggled at these pages.

Well, let me give you an example:

"Etiquette is, how to behave like ladies and gentledogs so that everyone will love you, it may even help you get a good mate."

"Never bark with your mouth full."

"Shake paws correctly."

"A neat appearance can be attractive.  Brushed snout, clean nails."

If you are a dog lover or a kid lover, you will enjoy this book.  I like the idea of making etiquette lessons, which are very dry and boring into a subject that can become alive and silly.  Children will retain something they can relate to faster than something that has less appeal and full of rules.  Our goal is to teach them to become graceful members of our family and society.  What a fun way to introduce this concept to your children.  Maybe you could even find it at your library as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment