Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pardon Me



Topic: Pardon Me

Delete Topic|Reply to TopicDisplaying all 8 posts.


  • Evan P asked:  Why is it that the expression "Pardon me?" Has fallen out of use?
    I believe that saying, "WHAT DID YOU SAY??" or "EXCUSE ME?" is not the best use of manners. Try just for a day to use this phrase: "Pardon Me." The responses will astound you! I use it always. When I may accidentally "bump, interrupt,etc. or mostly to ask for information to be repeated. I would most appreciate your thoughts......
    about a month ago · Mark as Irrelevant · Report · Delete Post


  • Manners Matter I love this kind of question, by the way, because I like to talk about how to treat others kindly and show my sincerest of feelings when I speak with someone. I like to respect people and treat them with my best manners, because they matter, (they, being manners and the people).
    I believe tone carries more strength in speech than words. The words of a old person begging for you to repeat yourself, and saying, "so sorry to ask you", whilst gasping their breath after every word, is one side of the pendulum with the other being a New York taxi cab driver smacking on gum yelling at you to repeat where you are going. "Eh? what's dah maddah you? Speak up alreadah".

    But to be honest, Evan, don't you believe that Being formal has lost it's place in society and "Pardon Me" along with the proper introduction and other formal ways are something people like to see in action and love to hear, and even admire that quality in others, but really don't know how to or feel comfortable doing.

    Because you find it charming and you want to be polite in the way you talk, you'll find others will want to repeat the same behavior back to you. You might see the world as a very pleasant place to live, because you will get polite words said back to you.

    I love to google so I took this opportunity to bring a few definitions from my search below:

    pardon
    v pardon [ˈpaːdn]
    1 to forgive Pardon my asking, but can you help me?
    2 to free (from prison, punishment etc) The king pardoned the prisoners.
    n
    1 forgiveness He prayed for pardon for his wickedness.
    2 a (document) freeing from prison or punishment He was granted a pardon.
    interj
    used to indicate that one has not heard properly what was said Pardon? Could you repeat that last sentence?
    beg someone's pardon
    to say one is sorry (usually for having offended someone else etc) I've come to beg (your) pardon for being so rude this morning.
    I beg your pardon
    I'm sorry I beg your pardon – what did you say? I wasn't listening.
    interj pardon me
    expressing a polite apology, especially for not agreeing with someone Pardon me for interrupting you.
    Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2010 K Dictionaries Ltd.
    about a month ago · Delete Post


  • Evan P.   "THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXPEDITIOUS RESPONSE. PROFESSIONALLY I AM A PEDIATRIC SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST. GOOGLE INFORMATION IS "SPOT ON." MANNERS CAN INDEED BE MIRRORED, AND TAUGHT.
    MY 2 TEENAGE DAUGHTER'S HAVE IMPECCABLE MANNERS. NOT JUST VERBALLY, BUT WITH WRIITEN THANK YOU NOTES OTHER FORMS OF ETIQUTTE. LOSS OF DAILY USE IS PRIMARILY DUE TO LACK OF MANNER'S BEING TAUGHT AND USED. MY DAUGHTER'S ADDRESS THEIR TEACHER'S AND ELDERS AS I WAS TAUGHT.
    THEIR SCHOOL'S STANDARD IS ADRESSING: MISS, MS., MRS., MR.AND NURSE____."
    SO, I DO BELIEVE IT IS NOT LOST, JUST MORE EVERYDAY USUAGE. READER'S WILL BE PLESANTLY SURPRISED! I ALSO USE SIR AND MAM, AND ALWAYS A SMILE."
    about 3 weeks ago · Mark as Irrelevant · Report · Delete Post


  • Manners Matter Why Thank you Miss Evan :)
    about 3 weeks ago · Delete Post


  • Evan P:  "THE PLEAURE IS MINE..... :)"
    about 3 weeks ago · Mark as Irrelevant · Report · Delete Post


  • Maryann I:  Hello everyone, As we are talking about manners. I have a boyfriend who has 5 children who live with him and he takes care of. When i am at their home, i like to cook dinner for them, i love to cook and bake. When i do cook dinner all the kids thank me for cooking dinner. They have impeccable manners and i am so amazed by their good manners. they are 5,6,9,10, and 12 yrs. old and they all fold their own clothes. The older kids can wash and dry and then they all fold their own clothes. They have daily chores and are eager to do them! These kids truely amaze me!
    about 3 weeks ago · Mark as Irrelevant · Report · Delete Post


  • Ellen G:  " I agree that good manners AND good grammar aren't being taught. I'm so lucky my parents taught me both and I'm trying to do the same for my kids. With so many people seemingly obsessed with being "respected", what better way to show respect and receive respect by using good manners. Speaking of the term "Pardon me", my mother (who's 83) always says "I beg your pardon." I think it's charming."
    about 3 weeks ago · Mark as Irrelevant · Report · Delete Post


  • Manners Matter Ellen, that is great that you were taught to treat others well and you want to teach your children the same. I love the ways of our grandparents. In nursing homes the people there still dress up. I wonder how our generation will be dressing in the nursing homes? Will we do our hair or have it done? Will we dress up to eat dinner as they do now?

    Maryann, I am shocked by the manners that your boyfriend's children are being taught! Wow! I hope to encourage my little ones to be helpful and do the same thing someday. Wow! I love hearing about children who are taught by parents to take the time to give their children such great life skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment