Monday, August 23, 2010

Introducing People

Conversations are always more fun if everyone knows everybody else.  If someone is new, it's good to introduce them.  And it's nice to say something to help the people know each other a little better.

I just say something like:

"Miss. White, this is my friend, Benjamin.  We live in the same neighborhood."
or
"Dottie, this is Anna.  She went to school with me."

Remember:  Rebecca Mannerly Says:
"The Heart of meeting and greeting manners is to speak up, speak pleasantly, and make sure everybody knows everybody else."

It's polite to introduce younger people to older ones and introduce males to females.  That means that I say the older person's or the female's name first:

Examples:

"Mrs. Davis, this is my friend Catherine."
or
"Emily, this is Bradley."

What if a lot of people in a group don't know the new person?  I just say something to the whole group like,
"Everyone, this is Sophia White.  She just moved in next door to me."

Then, if the group is small, I go around the circle and tell the new person the name of everybody there.  If it's a really big group, like a class in school, I might ask them to tell her their names themselves.  Then I stick around to make sure people are talking to the new person and help her fit in.

Introducing Myself

If I meet someone new and no one introduces them to me, I just go ahead and introduce myself.  That's kind of hard sometimes.  I would suggest not to wait around for the other person to say hello.  If both of you are waiting like that, you might never meet each other at all!  It's really a lot better just to smile and say, "Hi.  I'm Judith Marie.  What's your name?"

If I'm greeting someone I've met before a long time ago (like a childhood friend), it's still important to say my name.  It's just not fair to say, "Hi, remember me?"  She would be very embarrassed if she didn't.  So I just give a little reminder:

"Hi, I'm Rebecca Mannerly.  I went to school with you.  I'm glad to see you again."

Do you have any questions?  I hope I made this very simple to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment