Monday, August 16, 2010

What Age Should Someone Be When You Call Them, Ma'am or Sir?

Manners Matter

What age should someone be when you call them, "ma'am" or "sir"?



August 11 at 10:23am via Facebook for iPhone ·  ·  · Promote




    • Shelly G. doesn't it depend on your own age rather than the other persons? lol
      August 11 at 10:27am ·  ·  1 person ·  · 


    • Lisa L. It should depend on both.....me being 50 yrs. old, I would say I show repect to 65 yr.olds or so by saying ma'am. Anyone I consider my elder :)
      August 11 at 10:40am ·  ·  · 


    • Nichelle M. no, I address those younger than I am as ma'am. I think bottom line it's a "respect" thing. not saying if you don't then you aren't respectful. It really is more of an expectation we are taught; and depends on the social connection, the professional connection, the level of authority/respect. also the situation you find yourself communicating with the other person.
      August 11 at 10:51am ·  ·  1 person ·  · 


    • Judy K. It's more of a Southern thing for me. When I travelled for HellSouth I rarely said ma'am or sir in certain parts of the country. They would have laughed me all the way back to Alabamie.
      August 11 at 1:34pm ·  ·  1 person ·  · 


    • Evan P. I use Mame/for Ma 'dame. Ma 'dame has become archaic. It is respectful at any age.... it allows the person whom you are addressing to feel good.... is that when manners matter most??
      Sunday at 12:45am ·  ·  1 person ·  · 

No comments:

Post a Comment